Five Reasons I Am Voting Flewelling For County Council
by Angel Flewelling
1. Upbringing Ė Brian has not lived a secluded life like so many people seeking political office these days. He was raised by a father who worked as an electrician in a paper mill that eventually closed due to outsourcing jobs and a stay at home mother who reared six children. Brianís parents instilled in him values of hard work, standing up for what you believe in (even if that meant disagreeing with them) and caring about your family, neighbors and community. Although his parents struggled financially, Brian and his siblings never felt hungry, underprivileged or disadvantaged. Instead, his parents taught their children to be thankful for what they did have: each other, and their own God-given talents. Brian worked to help pay for his school supplies, clothes and playthings since he was thirteen years old while maintaining grades that kept him near the top of his class. Like everyone, he always helped out by shoveling snow in the winter and raking leaves in autumn around the family home, and for elderly neighbors, in the beautiful surroundings of the scenic Adirondack mountains where he learned to appreciate nature.
2. Work Ethic - When he was seventeen, he joined the US Marine Corps following in his fatherís footsteps proudly serving his country for ten years and acquiring valuable life skills like learning to deal with all types of people, team building proficiency, learning to budget resources, and leadership. Shortly after being Honorably Discharged from the Corps and gaining additional experience as a paralegal, Brian successfully opened his own business in Beaufort and has been proudly serving his clients since 1994.
3. Family-Brian is a committed husband and father. We have been married for 27 years and have one biological son (recently married) and twelve foster children. Brian sincerely cares for and about them all. He is a true humanitarian.We, his family, hold him in high regard for doing things such as helping his grown foster children with rent, groceries, transportation and utility bills. He and I have twice been year-long host parents for foreign exchange students. He warmly accepted my aged uncle into our home, and helped care for him through ten years of declining health.
4. Volunteerism- Brian has a generous and compassionate heart and enthusiasm for helping others. He fights for important causes even if it means jeopardizing his comfort zone. He is a volunteer for several local Republican organizations, is a volunteer for the Child Abuse Prevention Association of Beaufort County, was for many years a member of the Beaufort and Lowcountry Lions Clubs whose primary mission is fighting blindness, parishioner at St. Peterís Catholic Church wherein he and I led the youth group for several years, and is currently a member of the Exchange Club of Beaufort, a civic group with focus on Americanism and community service.
5. Experience- Brian has served on the City of Beaufort Zoning Board of Appeals as Chairman and currently serves on the Beaufort Planning Commission as Vice Chairman. He has always prioritized the taxpayers before politics.Brianís not afraid to stand up to anyone and doesnít fear offending those who give up their values for the almighty buck. He is adamantly against wasteful government spending and is always in pursuit of protecting our beautiful environment by preventing premature or over-development and sprawl.